Project Investigator/Coordinator : Dr. Rakesh Kumar, AP, SoBT
- For the first time in the history of Jammu and Kashmir, four of its Universities have been sanctioned a major research funding to the tune of Rs. 9.1crores to establish a Multi-institutional Centre for Advance Research (CAR) in Human Reproductive health by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the apex body for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research in India. The participating Universities include; Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, University of Jammu, Central University of Jammu and University of Kashmir. The Lead Investigators of the Centre include, Dr. Rakesh Kumar from School of Biotechnology, SMVDU; Professor Manoj Dhar, School of Biotechnology & Institute of Human Genetics (presently Vice Chancellor), University of Jammu; Dr. Audesh Kumar from Centre of Molecular Biology, Central University of Jammu and Professor Raies Qadri, Department of Biotechnology, University of Kashmir. Dr. Swarkar Sharma of School of Biotechnology, SMVDU Katra and Dr. Sanjana Kaul from School of Biotechnology, University of Jammu are co-investigators in their respective centres.
- SMVDU has been nominated as the Nodal centre, with Dr. Rakesh Kumar as the co-ordinator of the centre and all other centres will be designated as Sub-Centres.
- A detailed understanding of health challenges, especially in the area of Reproductive Health, need to be addressed within the state of J&K to ensure that policies implemented in the area receive appropriate response and result in a fruitful outcome.Incidentally, there is no concrete researched data available in the public or medical database regarding the incidence of infertility or birth defects in the populations of Jammu and Kashmir.
There is no published data from Jammu region.
The center has following objectives:
- Training and skill development: Human Resource Development.
- Encouraging Inter-Institutional Collaboration: Development of regional networks.
- Education and Awareness: Data Collection and Compilation.
- To access and evaluate the incidence and prevalence of Reproductive health disorders/diseases in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Genetic analysis of the recruited subjects.
The Institute will be recognized as a ICMR Centre of Advanced Research in Reproductive Health (CAR), SMVDU, Katra “To Address & Promote Human Reproductive Health in Jammu and Kashmir Region”for Research and Training in Reproductive Health, and also as a centre for Training in Diagnosis and Management of Infertility and spontaneous Abortions.