The corporate placements of the students passing out from a university with a Professional degree like B.Tech or M.B.A. has become one more yardstick, among others, to measure the effectiveness of the academic program and managerial capabilities of the university. From a student’s perspective, placement with the corporate world through the Campus placement exercise is an external recognition of the hard work and labor that one has put in achieving excellence in a chosen area of profession. From the University’s perspective this is not only a yardstick of measuring the effectiveness but also a third part validation of its academic program in preparing a student to excel in his/her chosen area of profession for which he/she is trained at the university.
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, a fully residential and highly technical University established by an Act of J&K State Legislature and recognized by UGC under Section 12(B) and 2(f) of the UGC Act of 1956, has always been committed towards preparing professionals whose training in line with the requirements of the industry. The rapid career growth of the alumni of the University and the wide recognition of the University by the corporate world are clear indicators of the success achieved by the University in training its students and providing opportunities to the students to make a mark for themselves in the corporate world. The interaction of the University with the corporate world is not only for placements but the University interfaces with the corporate world on multiple fronts as given below:
1. Collaborations have been entered into with the corporate world to create state of the art lab infrastructure for conduct of academic & research work. SMVDU has entered into collaboration with Multi-national firms like Freescale Semiconductors, Xilinx Inc., Nulux Industries, Prathistha Industries to set up labs. Faculty members and students have been provided training by these industries for ensuring that their skills are in tune with the requirements of the industry.
2. Students work on projects sponsored by the corporate world thus getting a feel of real life projects as they happen in the industry. Major industries mentioned above have been sponsoring projects for the students.
3. Students attend Skill Enhancement workshops conducted by highly trained professionals from the corporate world at SMVDU Campus or the Corporate Office. Students have been attending workshops and seminars conducted by TCS, Infosys, Wipro, EMC2, Aircel, TATA Teleservices, Freescale Semiconductors, Nulux, Prathistha Industries, Sonalika Tractors, MSMEand Indian Army to name a few.
( Training Workshop by TATA Teleservices )
( Team from Wipro for Wipro 10X Training Program for Faculty )
( Team from Indian Army Interacting with Students )
( Team from TATA Consultancy Services getting familiarized with Faculty in University )
4. Faculty members have provided consultancy services to manufacturing industries like Intex Industries, Forbes Marshall Ltd. And Godrej & Boyce Manufacturing Co. besides Hosting & Service industries likeManas Hosting, Bangalore & Food Malls. This provides faculty members and students to work on industry relevant projects.
5. Industry Internship or Summer Training as it is traditionally known, of the students with industries of repute. Students are sent for Summer Training to corporate world including names like TCS, BHEL, Sonalika Tractors, Fedders Lloyd, JBM, ITI Bangalore, Mahindra Group, J&K Bank, Punjab National Bank, Hindustan Machine Tools, Sudhir Gensets, HDFC Bank, Frick India Ltd., NHPC, HPCL, ABB, Maruti Industries Ltd.,
6. Providing opportunities for Campus Placement of Students in the corporate world keeping their skill-set, career options and aspirations in mind. This facility is also extended to ex-Students of the university who have passed out. A dedicated Alumni Association of the University (http://www.smvdualumni.net), initiated and administered by the students, works actively towards providing placement opportunities for the students
Placement session every year usually begins in September in a very organized manner with a lot of input and planning from the placement Team consisting of members of Placement Cell, Faculty Placement Coordinators & Student Placement Coordinators. The objective of the team is to ensure that students of SMVDU, who are interested in placements, get ample opportunities to ensure that they get emplyement with the companies of their choice thus, giving them a positive nudge right at the beginning of their career. The team selectively contacts the companies which are on the radar of the students in terms of their choice of career and then invites them to visit the campus for the placement process. Following are some of the corporares who have recruited our students through campus placement in recent years:
Students from all technical institutions of the region come and participate in pool campus drives organized by SMVDU every year. Besides this we also actively engage in various employment initiates of government on employment like “Employment Fairs” organized by the government, "counseling and guidance of students” etc.
(SMVDU participating in Employment Fair organized by district administration, Reasi)
A common opinion expressed by all the recruiters visited so far is regarding the high quality of students and the excellent infrastructure of the University. General Manager (HR) of HCL predicted that SMVDU would soon be a very tough hunting ground for the recruiters considering the large competition among the recruiters to hire from here. Team from Capgemini appreciated the fact that SMVDU only admitted students through the AIEEE process thus focusing only on merit for its intake. All the recruiters have expressed their deep sense of satisfaction with the quality of students being recruited and the excellent infrastructure at SMVDU for teaching as well as for conducting large scale events. Due to the excellent planning, coordination and sincere efforts made by the T&P Cell along with the Faculty Coordinators and most importantly the Student Coordinators, the high rate of success in placements has been achieved by the University in a very short time.
The stress on Quality input, better employment opportunities to the student & preparing student for higher studies by the Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor Prof. S K. Jain has borne its fruits. Under his able guidance and leadership in the coming years SMVDU should be able to attract best of the recruiters on the Campus for placements.
Disclaimer: All Logos are Registered Trademarks of the respective Companies and have been shown here only to emphasize the absorption of students in these companies.